Tuesday, April 1, 2008

3-31 class

I try, I really do, but I really hate this class. I just don't get why it gets under my skin so much.

In yesterday's class, I really appreciated the smaller groups. I got to talk to a few more people. I started to better understand the personalities of a few of the students. I gained more respect for the individuals in the class. I had fun. I also appreciated the opportunity to have others get to know me a little bit better. Now, there are at least 2 people who don't think I'm a jackass. LOL. That's progress. LOL.

The age gap frustrates me. I think if I would have taken this class in the summer I would have probably liked it a little better. Summer session students seem to be a little more mature I have noticed. Someone made the comment, "I remember the 80's," then went on to say, "I'm 23." Really? What do you remember, shitting in your diaper? I can't relate to, what seems to be, a majority of the class. In reality, I think it's just some of the more vocal students that I can't relate to. When I hear some of the things said in the class I think, "Wow, I really can't be bother to continue to listen to what you are saying... or will say in the future, i think I have maxed out on you." Then I think, "Maybe I really do hate people." LMAO. Which certainly isn't truthful. I'm honest, extremely honest... and vocal I suppose. To my girlfriend, that I tell everything to, she thinks I don't like people because of the comments I make. Well, I don't know if she really feels that way, but she occasionally tells me that... right after I have finished telling her about how someone really bothers me of course. In most cases, it's the same people. As a whole, I really love people... but I do continued to be placed in situations with people I don't like. That's life. The thing is, I have no problem admitting and accepting that I don't like someone.

Maybe that's the difference. In class yesterday when I saw the sketch I wanted to comment on it. I didn't like it. I thought it was a failed attempt. His sketch communicated a lot less than the gentleman's video did before him. However, because you expressed your feelings then everyone else decided they needed to lick his ass as well. Everyone runs with your ideas or notions. In my head I was thinking, wow, this is like every other class but worse. In most classes, the majority of students have no interest in trying to agree with the instructor. It seems like they want to disagree just for the sake of defying authority. Not in this class though. I guess people don't feel comfortable in what they are supposed to do or something... so they just try to align with you. I mean, why were we talking about how this guy's personal onion sketch could be turned into a website?

Why do we need to repeat the same things that someone said right before us? Are we really that stuck on ourselves to think that us saying it means so much more. "Maybe you didn't get it when the 6 people before me said it, but I am going to really bring it home." What is that about. I feel like I have an opinion on everything but I only speak with no one else will or when I feel I have a contradictory opinion to voice.

If the goal is to create a lot of little Beth Lykins, then I think the class is a success. Free thinking has long left the station.

2 comments:

spyroterra said...

I really appreciate your comments - I really do. I don't agree with everything, but I think you are right that this is turning into a clone class. And I hate that. I do however, have to throw this back at you. If you are feeling this way, then why the hell are you not saying anything??? We need dissent. I go home completely frustrated that everyone is following me like little sheep most of the time. I disagree that this class is a waste of time, though. This semester has been very odd, and I do see a disparity among the personality types, but that should make for a more interesting experience. In only will if those of you, such as yourself voice your opinions. If you hold others in such disdain then why don't you speak up? Do you really care if they get upset? Or is it just not worth your time? If that is the case, then this course is definitely a lost cause for you. I can't make you care, and neither can anyone else. The fact that everyone follows what I say is partially due to the fact that people who feel like you do (that sometimes my opinion is shit - which it is) keep that opinion to themselves. Everyone in the class is still so worried about pleasing the teacher that no one is brave enough to say anything. And if that is how you feel and you don't say anything to change the dynamic of the class, then it is your own fault the class is not working for you. A little honesty would help things tremendously. You need to be as honest in class as you are on this blog. You have tremendously good insight, but you never share it. What is the worst that could happen???

ric said...

Wow, man.

I know we already talked about this one, but...wow.

I have to agree with you on most of that, but I think the problem might not just be in this class. Nobody thinks for themselves at all anymore.

It's only evident because of the structure of the course.

Maybe we're not listening to each other (or at least not well enough). We don't hear anything so we can't challenge it.

Oh how sad the situation...