Saturday, April 12, 2008

Connections

Connection in the ‘supply and demand’ sense
Wow. I didn’t even look at the connections assignment until today. So weird. I don’t know if today was an especially good day to think about connections… or maybe it’s just something that is always in my face. In regard to work I am an inventory guru. This morning I was lucky enough to actually do the job I accepted a couple of years ago. I helped a sales rep, who is in pursuit of a promotion, complete a physical inventory count this morning. I felt like his connection. Not just a connection to the information and assistance that he needed but also his connection to where he wants to go with the company.

Connection in the 'similar' sense
Before he and I could finish his inventory my ‘boss’ and a co-worker came to check in, which brings me to a different connection. With the co-worker I feel like we have a sibling-like connection. We are likely to through each other under the bus, but we will always have each other’s back. We have a ton of fun together. We have a very similar sense of humor, which allows us to connect on a friendly level first. We have a good time together.

Connection in the ‘long ties that bind’ sense
Then there is my ‘boss,’ whom I have worked with for more than 6 years now. Last night she told me that she is pregnant again, which I am super excited about. I wanted to talk to her about it when I saw her, but she told me it was a secret. I suspect that I was the only one at that location who knew, so it would have been a horrible time for me to speak to her about it.

Connection in the ‘linked’ sense
After leaving that location I went to a store just up the street to convince another co-worker to grab some lunch with me. I have known her for a long time, but we have only become really close in the last year. I dated a woman a couple years ago who later ended up working for the company as well. She ended up working with the co-worker I had planned to grab lunch with. My co-worker, who I’ll call S, got to know my ex-girlfriend pretty well. I think S then felt as if she need more about me, or better understood me based on her experience with my ex-girlfriend. S and my ex are still pretty good friend. I guess because my ex is an amazing person than I had to be an amazing person as well. At least, that’s what I think S thinks.

Connection in the ‘needed’ sense
S and I have been talking a lot about her life lately. She’s not really happy. I feel like I am constantly offering her advice, suggestions and just sharing things about my life and experiences. Today I was talking to her about how crazy I am about gardening. I have been toying with the idea of gardening for a long time, but have never really done anything about it. Something apparently bit me in the ass this year, and I have been working like a maniac to start a garden. I feel like all I want to do is watch my plants grow. They need so much time and attention that some days it does seem like that is all I have done. I have to make sure they have the right amount of water and light and keep them warm.

No comments: