Monday, March 3, 2008

I sense pain, fear, and someone watching

I decided to close my eyes and type. More often then not, I rely on my vision when on the computer. I don't do a whole lot with sound for the majority of my computer work. This is what I came up with.....

"I am having trouble relazing my eyes. The fan from my laptop is extrememly loud. My dog is making noises with her mousth. I hear cars outside. I feel as if there is a small current of electricity flowing through my fingers as they sit on home row. I feel like I can’t relaz my eyes and focus my other senses at the same time. My house is creaking in. The fense across the street is shaking. I hear sirens. It’s a little shilly. The window must be vlowing pretty strong to make the chain link fence sjakes. I hear a car approaching, I wonder how far away it is. It seems to be in the distrance. II just took my finders off of home row. I left my eyes closed and tried to find the row agaoin. I wanted to see if I could feel the ssame current on different rows. I could. I found home row by reliixing that my laptop has pretty noticableestentions on two of the keys. Keeping my eyes closed actually hurts wuite a bit even thought I am trying to relax."

The big thing about this is I realized how visual I am. Even when I am trying to not be, my eyes continued to move. As if I had no control over them. When I tried to relax my face and eyes, my eyes would start to open. So I had to quint, which really made my face and eyes hurt. I was pretty taken back by what my eyes were doing. It really seemed like they were fighting to stay alive.

To examine my visual tendencies some more, I blindfolded myself and did some things around the house. First I got up and headed toward the bedroom with my eyes closed. Even though I feel comfortable in my house, and confident where things are my heart immediately started to race. I could feel my heartbeat in my throat. I was being more cautious. It took me much longer to move through the rooms than it normally would. Due to the caution, I was no longer confident where things were. I had to lift my hands up to make sure I wasn't going to run into a wall. Once in the bedroom, I found a handkerchief that I used as a blindfold. I then went to the restroom, which was a very interesting experience... once that I think I will spare you... for the most part. Figuring out if the lid is up or down, can be interesting. If you don't check you could end up going to the bathroom all over the place, or yourself. If you do check, you could end up with a wet hand. Additionally, I learned that I would not use Charmin if I were blind. I had a hell of a time just trying to find the end of the paper, because Charmin sticks to itself. I then needed to finish filling up our Brita pitcher that I had left in the sink from earlier. I stuck my finger on the fill line and turned on the water. I didn't know until the pitcher was almost full that I was using hot water. If I were blind I would probably prefer two separate water knobs as opposed to the singular control that is found in many kitchens. I had no issue getting the pitcher back to the fridge. I did, however, think about how difficult it would be to find the food that I wanted if I were blind. Cooking relies heavily on look. What about variety. In my cheese drawer will often have various types of sliced cheese, among other various cheeses. However, how would I know which slice cheese I wanted to put on my sandwich. What about frozen dinners or boxed meals. Would it always be a surprise? After I was finished in the kitchen I decided to play the drums. I realized my drums actually sound pretty good. I listen to the drums in various music I listen to and thing wow, their kit sounds amazing. I now realize that mine actually sounds pretty good as well. I think I play a little more deliberately when I am blindfolded. I play through the drums instead of to them. I was comfortable and enjoying myself until I started to think about the possibility of someone watching me. I was alone, but my drums are close to the front door, and we have 3 little windows in the door... so someone could be watching me. I felt like there was someone right in front of my face. My head continued to reel with the possibilities before I had successfully freaked the shit out of myself and had to rip the blindfold off.

No comments: