Sunday, February 3, 2008

What if reality

What if we felt no pain?
http://lukesblogn485.blogspot.com/

I really love this question, “What if we felt no pain?”: but what kind physical or emotional?

If we felt no physical pain
If we felt no physical pain, how would we know when we needed to go to the hospital? Barring something major like constant vomiting or protruding bones, we use pain level to determine severity. Once I stepped on a sewing needle. In that one step, the needle went completely into my foot. I had no idea the needle was still in my foot, except that I had a lot of pain. My brother had appendicitis when he was younger, if it weren’t for the pain he would have never thought to go to the hospital. Essentially, if we had no physical pain people would either take every little scratch as a major injury or shrug serious injuries off because they felt no pain. This is just talking about one aspect of no physical pain. On the community side, people wouldn’t fear death as much if they knew there would be no pain. Crime would likely increase.

If we felt no emotional pain
If we felt no emotional pain, we might be a happier people but we would certainly be empty. How much can you really feel for someone if you feel no emotional pain when they leave, be it through death or abandonment? I’m not sure we could actually love without emotional pain. We really know that someone loves us when they stick it out through the tough times. Would there be ‘tough’ times if there were no emotional pain? What is emotional pain? I feel emotionally pained when I hear what people go through, then I want to help them. Would we even have social non-profits, if there were no emotional pain? The world, as we currently know it, would certainly deteriorate. We would exist as emotionless people. What is white without black, or dark without light. We would just exist, shells. We would be robots going through the motions of life incapable of grasping how amazing things are. We would have no desire to create new things or to research. The past would be forgotten and the future would no exist.

The gist of this story, life would suck! I wouldn’t want to live a life without pain. Without pain I would never be able to truly appreciate the non-pained times. I would like to have a discussion with others on this topic. What do you think?

No comments: